|Name of Administration||Working Level||Total in Punjab State|
|Zilla Parishad||District Level||12809|
|Block Samiti||Block Level||145|
|Gram Panchayat||Village Level||22|
1 President - Elected from among the directly elected members of Zilla Parishad
2 Vice President - Elected from among the directly elected members of Zilla Parishad.
2 Members -
- Members directly elected from the Zilla Parishad constituencies of the district.
- Presidents of the Block Samiti
- Members of house of people & member of Legislative Assembly.
The Department of Rural Development and Panchayats is assigned with the duty of assisting the PRIs(Panchayat Raj Institutions) in discharging of its constitutional obligations. The main functions and duties of the offices and employees working in the department are rendering assistance in implementing schemes and projects through PRIs, to extend the technical support and know how to PRIs in order to execute various development schemes at the different levels.
Block Samiti(Panchayat Samiti)
A panchayat Samiti consists of the following four types of members.
i) Elected members
The sarapanchas of the Panchayats in a Block are members of the Panchayat Samiti. Besides each Gram Panchayat sends one elected member to the Panchayat Samiti member.
ii) Associate Members
All the M.L.A. s elected or nominated to the legislature & all the M.P.s elected to the parliament from the area of Block Samiti are the associated members of the Panchayat Samiti. The associate members can attend the meeting & express their views in the meetings of the Samiti but they cannot vote.
iii) Co-opted members
If women, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes do not get adequate representation in the Panchayat Samiti through election when the elected members of the Samiti can elect one women & some Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe members.
iv) Ex-officio members
The Sub-divisional Magistrate and the Block Dev. Officer are the ex-officio members of the Panchayat Samiti.
The tenure of Panchayat Samiti is fixed by the State Govt. & it is not the same in all the states.
The members of the Panchayat samiti elect a Chairman from among themselves. He presides over the meeting of the samiti. Below the Chairman & Vice –Chairman, the Chairman of the Samiti in Orissa sets a monthly honarium of Rs. 1000/-
The Block Development Officer is the Executive Officer of the Panchayat Samiti. He runs day to day administration of the Samiti. Besides this there is a Panchayat Officer also. The Executive Officer & the Panchayat Officer work in Co-operation with each other.
Powers & functions –
- The Panchayat Samiti looks after the working of Panchayats in area.
- It tries to promote cottage industries in its area.
- It takes steps for the promotion of animal husbandry.
- It makes efforts to project crops from rats & other insects.
- It constructs & maintains roads & bridges in its area.
- It makes Conference-operation to the Conference-operative societies in its area.
- It makes arrangements for village fairs, exhibition & markets.
- It starts community development projects &makes every possible effort for the development of the area.
- It tries to give relief to the people in case of famine drought & floods in its area.
- It maintains & looks after the Government property.
- It maintains a record of births & deaths in its area.
- It maintains playgrounds & gardens.
Sources of Income
- It gets a share of the local taxes imposed in its area.
- It issues various types of license for example; cycle token. It is another source of income.
- It gets financial aid from the Government also.
- Loans are advanced by the Govt. to it.
- Loans are also raised by the Samiti.
Gram Panchayat or Gram Panchayat(village council) is a Village based Self Government in India.The word Panchayat comes from Sanskrit panch which means five. This is because such councils originally are consisted of five members .Gram Panchayat is the Grass root level statutory institution of Rural Self Government.State Government establishes a Panchayet in the name of a particular village.Members are elected by the base of public votes.A citizen, aged 18 , can participate in this election
Should you be fantasizing about figuring out the way to compose your composition better and become considerably more skillful in regard to papers writing, utilize the best potential essays writers you just discover on the internet. Here are a couple measures you must consistently consider to compose much better essays. This would be sure the essay is intriguing and informative to study. How you can increase composition writing abilities.
The Sarpanch, the elected head of the panchayat, has these responsibilities:
- Maintaining street lights, construction and repair work of roads in villages and also the village markets, fairs, collection of tax, festivals and celebrations
- Keeping a record of births, deaths and marriages in the village
- Looking after public health and hygiene by providing facilities for sanitation and drinking water
- Providing free education
- To organise the meetings of gram sabha (ग्रामसभा) and gram panchayat (ग्रामपंचायत)
- Providing health services and facilities
- Implementing development schemes related to agriculture and animal husbandry
- Planting trees in and around the village and to protect the environment
- Maintaining public parks and playgrounds, etc.
- Implementing various government schemes
A gram panchayat consists of between 5 and 21 members, elected from the wards of the village, and they are called a "panch". People of the village select a panch, with one-third of seats reserved for female candidates. To establish a gram panchyat in a village, the population of the village should be at least 300 people of voting age.
Number of panch for gram panchayat
Below 300 (population): 5 members
more than 7500: 17